Big Sur International Marathon
Course Details at a Glance
The course is from Big Sur to Carmel on scenic Highway 1, the nation’s first nationally-designated Scenic Highway. The course is USATF certified and is an official Boston qualifier. The course reopens to traffic at 1:00 PM, an approximate 6-hour course limit, just over a 13:45 pace per mile.
Race Date April 26, 2020
Race Website: http://www.bsim.org/
For detailed information on all distance events, please review your Race Weekend Participant Guide when it becomes available in April.
- All marathoners, 21-Milers, Relay runners and 11-Miler runners must take a bus to the start of their event. The bus departure map can be viewed HERE.
- 12K and 5K entrants are responsible for their own transportation to the start. Parking is available in the Crossroads Carmel and Barnyard shopping centers’ parking lots.
- There is water, coffee, fruit and bagels available at most start venues
- The 21-Miler begins at 6:30 AM at Andrew Molera State Park. Click HERE to view the 21-Miler start map.
- The Marathon and Relay begin at 6:45 AM at the Pfeiffer Multi-Use Facility Big Sur Station. The start is in three waves, approximately five minutes apart. Click HERE to view the Marathon start map.
- The 11-Miler starts at 7 AM at Grimes Ranch on Highway 1. Click HERE to view the 11-Miler start map.
- The 12K and 5K begin at 7:35 AM at the marathon finish line at Highway 1 and Rio Road in Carmel. Click HERE to view the 12K/5K start and finish area.
What to Expect
- After crossing the finish line, participants will receive their event medallion, water, and a heat sheet if conditions warrant. Medical personnel will be available.
- MarathonFoto will be on hand to take your finish picture
- After leaving Highway 1, participants will be guided into the food tent and then into the main finish area. Big Sur VIP, Boston 2 Big Sur, and Marathon Tours entrants will exit prior to the food tent and be guided to their own event tents.
- Live music, hot soup, a beer garden (for those 21 and older), a massage tent (marathon only), and a merchandise tent will be available to all finishers.
- Runners and walkers can connect with their families and friends at the Runner Reunion area near the food tent.
** Please always check with the event director to confirm race info, like dates, times, venue, etc. **