ABOUT THE TRIATHLON
The NorCal Kids Triathlon began in 2008, created by community leaders Sue Severson and Richard Westin to inspire and encourage the young people in our community, ages 4-14, to get out, get active, and learn to compete in a fun and safe environment that challenges them in running, swimming and cycling.
The event has grown to attract more than 300 kids from the Lamorinda community and many from around the state and nation- and typically a few from other countries! The courses are segmented for the younger kids and though competitive, the atmosphere is fun, supportive and exciting. The courses and timing are professionally managed, supported each year by teams of wonderful volunteers and partners like Orinda Aquatics and Miramonte High School’s Track Team. Each child receives a memorial medal to acknowledge their participation. The top three in performers are awarded trophies across different age groups separately for boys and girls.
It is a great day out for the young people and their families. Good sportsmanship, perseverance, and courage are encouraged, recognized and celebrated by the entire NCKT community there to cheer them on! The kids are excited and gratified in completing the challenge- all accomplished in a safe and happy atmosphere.
The event is organized and hosted by The Orinda Community Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to enhancing the life of all Orinda residents.
- Early registration online through June 12th: $40.
- After June 12th online registration $45.
- Same day registration $50.
- Discount of $5 per registration for multiple children registered from same family. Applicable online or same day registration.
Course distances / divisions:
- 6 and Under: 25 yard swim, 0.5 mile bike, 0.5 mile run
- 7-8 years: 50 yard swim, 0.75 mile bike, 0.5 mile run
- 9-10 years: 100 yard swim, 1.1 mile bike, 0.75 mile run
- 11-12 years: 200 yard swim, 2.25 mile bike
- 13-14 years: 200 yard swim, 3 mile bike, 1.5 mile run
- *9 and up position their bikes at Del Rey elementary and run there after the swim leg