Running of the Elk
Now in its 9th year, the Running of the Elk is a community-oriented event taking place each year in early April. The event features 5K (3.1 mile), 10K (6.2 mile) and Half Marathon (13.1 mile) courses, plus Kids’ 1/2 and 1/4 Mile Fun Runs. Both dogs and strollers are welcome on the three timed courses (we do ask that you start in the back), and custom printed bandannas will be provided to all pups at the finish line. For the half marathon, pace group leaders will help guide you to your goal finish. After receiving your well-earned finisher medal at completion of your race, a huge vendor expo takes place, with activities ranges from kids jump houses, to samples, information from local businesses, live music, and a complimentary pancake breakfast.
Proceeds from the Running of the Elk benefit the Elk Grove Youth Sports Foundation, a non-profit created to ensure that all Elk Grove children have an equal opportunity to be involved in sports. The event is run by an all-volunteer committee with a common goal of ensuring access to playing sports is available for all children in the city. The event is sponsored by the City of Elk Grove, Kaiser Permanente, the Elk Grove Auto Mall, Save Mart, Pappas Investments, and many more local businesses. We hope to see you on Sunday, April 5th, 2020.
Date: Sunday, April 5, 2020
Start and Finish Location
District56 at the Elk Grove Civic Center
8230 Civic Center Drive
Elk Grove, CA
Technical shirts for every 5K/10K/Half entrant, available in both Men’s and Women’s shirts, finisher medals, Thrive pavilion, and cool age-group awards; Timing courtesy of A Change of Pace; ideal spring weather; delicious post-race food, and entertainment.
✔️ Well behaved dogs are welcome
✔️ Bandannas to each canine finisher; post-race Pupapalooza
✔️ Strollers are permitted
✔️ Finisher medals for all divisions included
✔️ Short sleeve technical t-shirts available in men’s and women’s sizing
✔️ Reusable goody bag for each entrant
✔️ Virtual division available
✔️ Post-race pancakes, jump houses, Thrive pavilion, fruit, samples, vendors and live music
✔️ Age group awards presented three-deep in five year divisions
Packet Pick Up
Pre-race packet pick up will be held at Fleet Feet Elk Grove
8238 Laguna Blvd #200, Elk Grove, CA 95758
- April 3, 2020 – 4:00pm to 7:00pm
- April 4, 2020 – 10:00am to 6:00pm
Bibs and t-shirts may be picked up on race day, however, allow extra time for pick up. Arrive at least 60 minutes prior to your race start if picking up on event day. Race day pick up/late registration will open at 6:15 a.m. Races will not be held for late arrivals.
- 7:30 a.m. – Half Marathon
- 7:45 a.m. – 5K & 10K
- 10:30 a.m. – Kids Fun Run
When to Arrive Race Day: Arrive 45 minutes prior to your race start; allow 60-75 minutes if you need to pick up your t-shirt and bib (or register) on race day.
Packet pickup is available on race morning starting at 6:15 am.
How To Register
- Registration is handled online. Visit: https://runsignup.com/runningoftheelk to register.
- Not sure if you’ve registered? Look up your entry here.
- Discounts are available for youth entries. Family discount: transactions with three or more entries (5K, 10K, Half only) will save $5 on the third and each additional entry.
- Sorry, No Refunds or Transfers. Event happens Rain or Shine.
- All courses start and finish at District56, 8230 Civic Center Dr, Elk Grove, CA 95757.
- Water stations will be located approximately every two miles and serve water and electrolyte replacement.
- The half marathon has a 4 hour cut-off time.
- The kids fun runs (12 and under) are 1/4 and 1/2 mile routes, and parents may run alongside their children.
- Click each image below for a larger version.
- View course map PDFs:
Volunteers are needed to help with a variety of pre-race as well as race day tasks, from things such as distribution of t-shirts to athletes, directing athletes on the course, water stations, medal hand-out, and more. To sign up, e-mail us and we will get you in contact with the volunteer coordinator.
Half Marathon pacers
Pacers in the half marathon will be there to help you reach your finish time goals. Look for their bright t-shirts and pacer signs.
Past Race Results
Need to change your division, or have a general race question? E-mail us here.
** Please always check with the event director to confirm race info, like dates, times, venue, etc. **