- This event has passed.
Celebrate & Unite
Join us for the 12th Annual Folsom Firecracker. It is a great way to kick off Independence Day.
The event will benefit Shriners Children’s Northern California, located here in Sacramento County off Hwy. 50 adjacent to the UC Davis Med Center. Shriners Children’s mission statement is to provide the highest quality care to children with neuromusculoskeletal conditions, burn injuries and other special healthcare needs within a compassionate, family-centered and collaborative care environment.
Registration includes a race t-shirt, chip timing, eligibility for age group awards, and a sparkly red-white-and-blue finisher’s medal. We encourage you to register early!
5K, 10K and a 2 Mile Course.
Three courses for 2023. The 2 Mile is perfect for families, younger participants, and those with strollers or well-behaved dogs.
All courses start and finish on Parkshore Drive and travel along the tree-lined Jedidiah Smith Bike trail and offer views of the pristine blue waters of the American River.
Note: course is 95% paved, however there are some brief portions of the route on dirt.
How to Register
All registration is handled online. Click here to register. Registration opens on April 1, 2023.
To ensure safety on the race course, as well as that every participant receives a finisher medal, there is a Field Limit for this event.
2023 Finisher & Age Group Award Medal:
Race Day Times
6:30 AM – Registration opens
7:45 AM – 10K Start
7:50 AM – 5K Start
8:00 AM – 2 Mile Start
A confirmation email is sent to each registrant when your online entry is submitted.
Awards and Age Groups:
–>Age Group Awards will be presented to the top overall finishers per gender (male, female, nonbinary; based on gun time) plus the top three finishers per gender (based on net time) in the below age categories:
5K: 9 and under, 10-12, 13-15, 16-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80-89, and 90+.
10K: 12 and under, 13-15, 16-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80-89, and 90+.
2 Mile: 9 and under, 10-12, 13-15, 16-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80-89, and 90+.
Special Division Awards:
Special Divisions are offered for this event. Those entering a special division will still be ranked in their respective age group and will remain eligible for age group awards. During registration, you will have the chance to enter one of our Special Divisions for your race distance. Special divisions are:
- Adaptive Athlete (athletes with physical, developmental, and/or intellectual disabilities);
- US Military – Active Duty, Veteran, or Reserves;
- Baby Jogger/Stroller;
- Dog Division
There will be prizes for top finishers in each special division (based on net time) and you will still be ranked in your respective age group if you enter a special division. This is our way of recognizing those who have served our country, parents and caregivers who are participating with a child in a stroller, athletes with physical, developmental, and/or intellectual disabilities, and those who choose to participate with their four-legged furry exercise partner. See section below for rules and more detailed information.
Age group, special division, and overall awards will be available for pick up at the awards tent in the post-race area.
Packet Pick Up:
Packet pick up will be held from 11:00am to 3:00pm on July 2 at Fleet Feet Folsom. Race morning pick up will be available starting at 6:30 am. Packet will include your bib number and t-shirt.
Fleet Feet Folsom is located at 6610 Folsom-Auburn Rd, Folsom, CA 95630
Post-Race Photos & Results
If you are an age group or special division winner, and do not pick up your medal on event day, they will be available for pick up at Fleet Feet Folsom from July 6 to August 3. Unclaimed awards will not be mailed. Fleet Feet Folsom is located at 6610 Folsom-Auburn Rd, Folsom, CA 95630.
Photos: Facchino Photography will be at the event to capture your image at the course and at the finish line. A couple days after the race, you’ll be able to see the professional images online. Registered participants will also receive an email when pictures are live.
The event will benefit the burn prevention program at Shriners Children’s of Northern California, located in Sacramento County. Shriners Hospitals for Children is a 501( c )(3) non-profit organization, commonly known as Shriners Children’s.
Their compassionate, respected physicians and staff provide care for children with orthopedic conditions, spinal cord injuries, burns, scars from any cause, cleft lip, anorectal disorders, chest wall malformations and other surgical needs. Care is always available for their patients, regardless of a family’s ability to pay or insurance status.
During the registration process, you’re able to make an additional donation to Shriners Children’s of Northern California. 100% of these donations go directly to Shriners Children’s Hospital.
Donate $200 or more to Shriners & race for free: All donations received during the registration process in the amount of $200 or more will receive one complimentary adult race entry (discount will be applied in same transaction automatically).
Contact us by email here.
Race Day is Tuesday, July 4, 2023
Volunteer at the Race!
Volunteers are needed on race day to help with tasks such as:
- Registration (hand out t-shirts, bibs)
- Course Monitor (direct athletes on the course)
- Water Station (pass out water & Gatorade on the course)
- Finish line refreshments, award hand-out, and water
- Distributing finish line medals
- Clean up
All shifts are relatively short and you will be done before lunch. That being said, we encourage all volunteers to wear sunscreen, bring a reusable bottle of water, and wear a hat. If you would like to volunteer, either by yourself or with a group, you can sign up online here. Please email us with any questions about volunteering here. Groups of 10 or more are eligible for fundraising opportunities. We would love to have your help on race day!
Archive of Correspondence to Participants
How to Register
- All registration for this event is handled online.
- Register online here.
- There is a processing fee applied to each entry.
- We encourage early registration; fees increase as it nears the event.
- Entry is available on-site at Packet Pick Up and on Race Day. Payment accepted for in-person entries is debit/credit or cash.
Entry fees are determined by date and are as follows:
- April 1 to April 3: $33 for adults, $28 for youth 17 and under.
- April 4 to May 12: $38 for adults, $33 for youth
- May 13 to June 9: $43 for adults, $38 for youth
- June 10 to July 1: $48 for adults, $43 for youth
- July 2-4: $53 for adults, $48 for youth
– The youth discount is applied automatically during the registration process based on date of birth.
– Participants may “opt out” of receiving the race t-shirt and save $5 on their race entry.
- We offer a discount for participants who served or are serving in the United States Military and are currently Active Duty, Reserves, or a Veteran. Entry fees with the military discount are $20 by June 10 and $25 from June 11 to July 4. Those registering with a military discount will be asked to show Military ID when picking up their race bib.
Race Entry Includes
Each registered participant will receive the following:
- Race bib and chip timing
- Race t-shirt (short sleeved)
- Finisher medal
- Eligibility for overall and age group awards
- Eligibility for special division awards
- Post-race refreshments
Donate $200 or more to Shriners Children’s – Northern California and race for free
This event benefits Shriners Children’s of Northern California, located on X Street in Sacramento. Shriners Children’s specializes in orthopedic conditions, spinal cord injuries, burns, scars from any cause, cleft lip, anorectal disorders, chest wall malformations and other surgical needs. Care is always available for their patients, regardless of a family’s ability to pay or insurance status.
During the registration process, each participant will have the option to make an additional donation to Shriners Children’s of Northern California. Every dollar counts and no amount is insignificant. 100% of your donation will go directly to Shriners Children’s. Individuals who donate $200 or more during the registration process will receive one complimentary adult race entry (discount will be applied in same transaction automatically).
Special Division Detailed Information
Special Divisions are offered for this event in each of the three race distances. This is an optional category that you may enter in addition to your age group.
Those entering a special division will remain eligible for age group awards and will be ranked and listed in age group results. You may enter only one special division.
US Military Special Divisions
Three divisions are offered: Active Duty, Veteran, Reserves. The top three finishers per gender in each of these divisions will receive an award. Ranking will be based on net (chip) time.
Adaptive Athlete Division
You may enter this division if you are an athlete with physical, developmental, and/or an intellectual disability. Some examples are: visually impaired, wheelchair athlete, limb difference, developmental/intellectual delayed/disability, modified racing wheelchair (“duo team”), etc. Rankings will be based on net (chip) time.
Please note there is a short stretch on the 2 Mile course that is not paved.
Baby Jogger Division
- This division is for parents, guardians and caregivers who will be pushing a child in a stroller or baby jogger.
- If more than one person will be running/walking with a stroller, only ONE should enter the baby jogger division.
- Children in strollers do not need to be registered; however will not receive a t-shirt or medal.
- Rankings will be based on net (chip) time.
- Those participating with strollers must start toward the back at the start line. Starting toward the front is not safe for either you or those around you and we do not want to encourage weaving.
- If you would like to run a very fast pace and start toward the front, we suggest not participating with a stroller.
- The top three finishers per gender (based on the adult pushing the stroller) will be awarded a prize.
Dogs may participate in this event under the following conditions:
- Dog is reliably comfortable in large crowds, in areas with a lot of noise, and around other dogs.
- Dog is not prone to jumping or excessive barking around strangers or other dogs, or when excited.
- Dog must be on a nonretractable leash.
- Owner must be prepared to clean up after him/her.
- Dogs may be in dog strollers or in carriers (front packs etc).
- Those participating with dogs must start toward the back.
- If you would like to run a very fast pace and start toward the front, we suggest not participating with a dog.
- Prizes will be awarded to the fastest five dogs per distance based on net (chip) time.
Parking (free) is available in the surrounding corporate parks of Parkshore Drive. Please be mindful of no parking signs. The easiest approach is to turn off Folsom Blvd on to Windmere Road, and then turn right onto Parkshore Drive. From there you can park in any lot to your right.
For google maps or phone apps, use the address 101 Parkshore Drive, Folsom, CA 95630 or click this link: https://goo.gl/maps/Qjz2GgoXCCfj3aTc7
All three courses are loop routes that start and finish on Parkshore Drive. The 10K course has an out and back portion that travels along the river towards the iconic Folsom bridge. The 10K has some hills and is not flat. A majority of all three courses take place on the paved paths that line the American River and nearby city streets.
Be sure to be courteous to others while on the route; walk or run on the right, pass to their left. Be cognizant of the center line. Listen for approaching runners and cyclists. Do not wear headphones. Do not stop suddenly in the middle of the path. Dogs must be on short non-retractable leashes.
Prohibited items on the race course: No scooters, skateboards, trikes, bikes, rollerblades, hula-hoops. Wheelchairs are permitted.
Packet Pick Up:
Packet pick up will be held from 11:00am to 3:00pm on Sunday, July 2 at Fleet Feet Folsom. Race morning pick up will be available starting at 6:30 am. Packet will include your bib number and t-shirt. If you are picking up on race morning, arrive one hour early.
You may pick up for family and friends; ID is not required to pick up your packet (except for those registering with military discount).
Packet pick up is always busiest right when it opens; to avoid lines, plan accordingly.
Fleet Feet Folsom is located at 6610 Folsom-Auburn Rd, Folsom, CA 95630. Packet pick up will be set up outside in front of the store.
** Please always check with the event director to confirm race info, like dates, times, venue, etc. **
DATE: Sunday, February 26, 2023