The 2023 Davis Turkey Trot benefits both Cancer Champions and the Yolo County SPCA. Today, we would like to highlight our partnership with Cancer Champions.
What Is Cancer Champions?
Cancer Champions is a non profit organization that provides support to people facing a cancer diagnosis. This comes in the form of:
• specialized fitness plans
• tailored nutritional support
• both of the above are designed to maintain or increase strength to fight the disease and endure treatments
• mindset guidance and community support
This support system helps bridge the gap between the hospital and home.
Cancer Champions uses grants and fundraising dollars to be able to offer resources and support to those for whom a monthly membership is not financially feasible. Supporting the community is what Cancer Champions is all about!
Our Partnership With Cancer Champions:
SUPPORTING CANCER PATIENTS AND SURVIVORS:
CANCER SURVIVOR SPECIAL DIVISION
All four distances (2 Mile, 5K, 10K, Half) at the Davis Turkey Trot offer a Cancer Champions Cancer Survivor Special Division.
• What is a special division? This division, like all of our special divisions, is designed to recognize a subset of our participants. In the case of the Survivor’s Division, we want to celebrate your participation in the Davis Turkey Trot! Whether your participation comes in the form of running, walking, or being pushed in a wheelchair, November 18th is a day we want to help make your race finish feel extra-special.
• Special Divisions also offer prizes to top male, female and nonbinary finishers. The real prize of course is your finish itself, but an extra medal to represent that achievement never hurt anyone!
• The Cancer Survivor Special Division is open to those currently undergoing treatment, or who have concluded treatment, of any type of cancer.
• To Join: During the registration process, select the “Cancer Survivor” Special Division when prompted to select an (optional) special division. Already registered? Email us and we can add you to it!
Survivor bibs will be available (in addition to the ‘regular’ race bib) for all entrants in the Survivor Division. Wear these on your front or back. Pick these up at the Cancer Champions booth on race morning.
CANCER CHAMPIONS SURVIVOR HOSPITALITY TENT
For our Cancer Survivor Special Division entrants and their families, Cancer Champions will have a tented hospitality area for relaxing pre- and post-race, with chairs and tables, healthy food options and beverages. There will also be a gear check for those in this special division. Access this hospitality tent by wearing your Survivor Bib.
FOR ALL DAVIS TURKEY TROT ENTRANTS:
“PARTICIPATING IN SUPPORT OF” CUSTOMIZATION
We all know someone who is battling something – and Cancer Champions is providing all entrants in this year’s Davis Turkey Trot with the opportunity to show your support for this person or people in your life. They are providing (free of charge) “I’m racing in support of” bibs that you can pin on the back of your t-shirt and write in the name or names of the person/people you wish to recognize.
Pick these up on race morning at their tent! They will have sharpies available, too!
PAST YEAR’S T-SHIRTS
A Change of Pace has donated some of our past year’s leftover race t-shirt to Cancer Champions, who will have these ‘vintage’ shirts available for a donation at their booth. Be sure to stop by and check them out! Suggested donation will be $5 for 3 shirts, or $2 each.
Donations received will be used to provide services and grants for people currently in treatment. Win-Win!
RUN OR WALK WITH THEIR COACHES
Cancer Champions will have their fitness coaches participating in the 2 Mile, 5K and 10K – this is a fun way for anyone signed up for the Turkey Trot to be a part of an energetic and motivating group during the event! Both running and walking groups will be available. Meet at the Cancer Champions booth 30 minutes before your race start to meet the group and get ready for your race.
Below are some links to additional information on the Trot: